So, over the past few weeks, I wrote some posts about PLEs /PLNs and Reinventing Your Online Identity. I figured today I’d go into some helpful tips and tricks that can apply to both in order to ensure successful and purposeful identities and networks.
1) Be Consistent: In order to establish a solid network you must be consistent with your postings, writings, photos etc. Being inconsistent with content can frustrate dedicated readers, colleagues and viewers. Additionally, it can seem irresponsible and unorganized to the public viewer. Also, being consistent can help with reinventing yourself; by continuing to post on your key topics, helps to emphasize your dedication, interests and personal/professional brand.
2) Learn About People: Get to know colleagues, readers, etc. who you interact with often. Get to know them past just the business. Do they have a partner? How old are their kids that they post about? What’s their pet’s name? How did they stumble into the world of Higher Education and Student Affairs? Getting to know your network on a more personal level creates a sense of humanity to your digital identity. It aids to strengthen your PLN by building a rapport and genuine interest in the individuals of your network.
3) Stay Current: Make sure that you stay up to date on your information that you provide on your profile. Contact information, interests, etc. Life happens and things change, but to maintain a strong digital identity you must have current information up. Nowadays society is impatient and outdated information, even 3 days old, can make or break an opportunity, unfortunately.
4) Profile Image: Utilize the same profile image for each of your digital platforms. Every time you change one, change them all. This helps the community at large identify you as they may be searching for you (after having met at a fantastic conference :)) or as the social media platform may suggest you (i.e. LinkedIn, Twitter). This also forces you to visit and at the very least consider updating your profile every time you alter your profile photo.
5) Utilize About.me: While this is a barebones platform, it is a great way to help maintain your digital identity across multiple platforms. Placing your introduction statement on the page offers a constant reminder of your basics. You are able to link your social media platforms on the page, which has the capability to link most well known and utilized platforms out there. You can utilize this to help organize your updating process across multiple platforms.
6) Ask Questions!: Ask and utilize your newly formed network for any other best practices or tips and hints about digital identity and maintaining your PLNs. The only thing that I suggest is that you also share out about the advice that your are given. We’re in this together, and the more we can help, support, share and communicate, the better chances we will have in moving forward and being successful in our respective fields and jobs as well as creating the most purposeful and successful PLEs/PLNs and Digital Identities
Hope that some of these help. If you have any other tips or hints, let me know!
Until next time!
Peace, Love and Pandas!