Every morning I walk by this banner on my way into the MSU Union:
It carries what you could call the vision of the MSU Union; Storied Past, Inspired Future.
Now, I always thought this was a great vision that acknowledged the rich history of the MSU Union, all the while anticipating and hoping for what is to come.
But today, as I walked by it, the meaning deepened and broadened for me.
It was the title of my life thus far.
Looking back on the past year and even my life so far, storied pastis a great descriptor. I mean, boy do I have stories. The things I’ve done are such a convoluted mix it’s crazy, like the following:
- Originally went to college for Violin Performance
- Was in a kids rodeo when I was younger and visiting a ranch in Wyoming
- Battled suicidal tendancies in high school
- Traveled over 18 states in 5 months over 2 college summers when I worked for GROUP Mission Camps
- The only “sports” team I was a member of was in 4th grade and was the Kangaroo Kids…a jump rope team that travelled the state putting on shows and promoting good health (I am a mean double dutcher)
- Was a member of the Drinking Council in college/post college days
- Learned how to drive on my dad’s John Deere B
- Came out as gay
- Spent my 9th grade summer with the Blue Lakes Fine Arts Camp International Youth Symphony Orchestra travelling the U.S. Midwest, Belgium and Germany as a violinist
- Learned most of my mom’s hobbies including cross-stitch, crochet, sewing, underwater basket weaving, and quilting and did crafts shows with her when I was younger (my MSU UAB people will now understand the appreciateion i have for the crafters lol)
- Published my first writing in 8th grade in my dad’s company’s monthly newsletter after a classmate died in a drunk diving accident
- Attended World Youth Day 2002 in Toronto to see Pope John Paul II
- Joined a fraternity (yes this is a whole separate line in this list lol)
Now, seeing how all of these and other stories and experiences have shaped me and set me on my life path is well…inspiring. And I’m so fortunate to have so much inspiration in my life.
I’m inspired by the support of friends and family. I’m inspired by all that I’ve accomplished. I’m inspired by my hopes and dreams. I’m inspired by my students. I’m inspired by my field. I’m inspired by me.
So here’s to another year down and another one starting!
Until next time
Peace, Love and Pandas!